Welcome to the Governing Body Page
Governors have a strategic planning role, responsibility for school governance, and support the Headteacher, who has responsibility for the day to day running of the school. We are required to follow legal and procedural processes laid down by the Government, in accordance with Church of England regulations.
We are always happy to hear from parents about issues which fall into this remit. We hold regular drop-in sessions so parents can meet us and ask questions or make suggestions. Dates and times of these are published in the Newsletter. If you would like to contact a member of the Governing Body please find details by following the List of Governors link below.
Governors are all volunteers and have a close working relationship with the Headteacher and staff to ensure statutory requirements are met, including:
- Determining the aims and curriculum policy for the school.
- Allocating the school budget, so that national and local requirements, as well as our children’s needs, are met.
- Approving the school management structure; interviewing and appointing staff.
- Deciding how the school is to be used outside school hours.
- Fostering good relationships with parents and the local community.
- Monitoring and promoting the Christian ethos within the school.
- Providing a welcoming, friendly and supportive environment where all can flourish in the spirit of the school Mission Statement
Governors attend full Governing Body meetings four time a year, and to belong to Sub-committees of the Governing Body. These are: Staffing, Educational Policy, Finance and Premises. (Please find link below for a full list of the committees and their members.) They visit the school to get to know the staff and children and to see how the school operates. Minutes of Governors’ meetings are available in school and on this website (click on the link below). All school policies are kept in a folder in the school Reception area for parents to access at any time.
Our Governing Body is made up of Parent, Local Authority, Foundation and Staff Governors. The number of each group of Governors is laid down in the School Constitution. Parent Governors are elected by the parents and must have a child in school at the time of election. Staff Governors work at school and are elected by the staff, both teaching and non-teaching. Local Authority Governors are appointed by the Local Authority. They may be County or City Councillors, or people known within the local community. Foundation Governors are appointed by the Church.
The Governing Body of St Barnabas’ Primary School is comprised:
- 2 Foundation Governors – Diocesan appointed
- 6 Foundation Governors – PCC appointed
- 1 Local Authority Governors
- 2 Parent Governors
- 1 Staff Governors
- 1 Headteacher
- 1 Incumbent ex officio
Further Governor Information
Chair of Governors – Letter to Parents